On 8/27/2012 8:04 PM, Mike Morrow wrote:

> I didn't realize that Novice exams were ever given at an FCC office,
> nor Technician exams either,

Yep, *all* exams were before an FCC Examiner except the Conditional
which was a General administered by others if you were too far from the
FCC office.  I can still remember, terrified at 13 in 1953, walking into
the office in Los Angeles and seeing that Boehme punched tape reader
with the "speedometer" dial sticking up.  It almost seemed like a
torture device.  My seat was right next to it at the long table, it sat
on a tin plate with a little lip around it into which the oil dripped,
and I can almost smell it today.

The examiner, who [not making this up] was wearing a green eyeshade,
explained the process, adjusted the speed to 5 WPM and asked two
applicants to verify it, and then ran it for 5 min.  We needed one
continuous minute of error-free copy -- 25 characters.  It was plain
text including numbers period, comma, slash, and question mark.

He collected the papers, and hand-graded them one by one, saying
nothing.  When he finished, he announced the names of those who passed,
one was me :-), and the rest left.  He handed out the written exams, as
I recall we had an hour but memory there is vague.  Like the code, he
collected the papers, graded all of them, and announced who passed.
KN6DGW arrived in the mail about 5 weeks later.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org