My experiences were just the reverse, in the San Francisco, Los Angeles and
San Diego FCC offices. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly while
taking all three Amateur and five Commercial license tests over a period of
years. My last test was taken in San Francisco the early 1990's after I had
let my Commercial Radiotelegraph license lapse too long and had to re-sit
the exam. I was told that was the last test administered by the FCC in San
Francisco.

Later I went to a private testing company for my GMDSS Operator's and
Maintainer's licenses.

All of the tests were handled well with no issues, both in the written and
CW receiving and sending, which involved a judgment call by the examiner.
(Applicants for both commercial and Ham licenses had to demonstrate their
ability to send on a straight key to the satisfaction of the FCC Examiner as
well as receive CW at the required speed.)

Of course, I was there and ready before the start time too.

73, Ron AC7AC