Bill,

I do not understand the utility in connecting both the left and right
speaker outputs to a single speaker - but I don't think it will do any
harm.  Connecting the audio amplifiers together is different than
shorting the right channel to ground by inserting a mono plug.  Why not
connect to stereo speakers and enjoy the AFX or if you have the subRX,
the combinations of main and SubRX receive in each ear (speaker).
Spread the speakers out so the left speaker is in the left ear and the
right speaker is in the right ear.  If you put the speakers close
together, you will not observe the effects.

I do believe corrective actions have been taken for the audio amplifier
shorted problem, but my memory is fuzzy about what and when.

73,
Don W3FPR