It's my understanding that the oscillation problem was solved long ago by
(IIRC) a change in the K144XV pc board ground scheme. My K144XV is perfectly
well behaved and I've not seen any queries to the support reflector about
oscillation in many months. John, it might be worth a follow up with
Elecraft support if you still want to use the internal transverter. Their
philosophy is that it's not right until it is right, Hi!

Three points to consider when deciding which transverter to use:

1) The internal transverter is limited to 10 watts, while the outboard
transverters will handle 20 watts PEP/CW.

2) The frequency stability of the external transverter is that of the xtal
oscillator in the unit (a TCXO is available as an option) while the
frequency stability of the internal transverter can be slaved to the K3's
master reference oscillator with the K144RFLK option. For even greater
stability, the K3's master reference oscillator can be slaved to an external
10 MHz frequency standard such as a GPS clock signal using the K3EXREF
option.

3) The internal transverter is 2 meters only. He'll still want a separate
box for 70 cm.

73, Ron AC7AC