Hi Mike:

What you are describing is not what I am describing, and this thread has
taken a few tangents from a central observation. Yes, the same ATU can
converge to different solutions because of algorithms and starting points.
Yes, it is important to be precise about what your reference point is when
measuring VSWR.

The precise observation I have, which seems to mirror Luca's reply to a
question from a VK-land user, is that I can measure a VSWR with Tune, then
perform Autotune, and then send a carrier with Tune again, and see that the
VSWR is unchanged from what it was before the tuning (Even though the tune
reported a lower VSWR). And I have seen that at somewhat higher than 1.3.
(Agreed that 1.3 is not a big deal).