Hi Rich,

        This DXE balun is just a hefty 1:1 choke balun  It's a high grade
coax (50ohm) wrapped through ferrite cores.  The balanced terminals
are floating and the unbalanced end is connected to the aluminium
housing and the shield of the 6 foot length of RG213 coax which
connects the balun and my tuner.  I have a balun inside my tuner too,
but I don't use it:  it's a 4:1 current balun and in this application
with a multi-band loop,   I prefer to use the external 1:1 balun.

        I agree - with my loop , anything that changes the feedline length,
even by smallish amounts, alters the impedance seen by the tuner at
the end of the line and the manual tuner settings change on (usually)
multiple bands and the KAT3 has to reconfigure its LC settings.  I
expected that, as a function of the impedance transforming effect of
the feedline, but what I didn't expect was the very significant
difference that different  shack "grounding" arrangements would make
to the whole process of matching the antenna system at the shack end
of the feedline.

        About the common mode current that I'm measuring on the coax between
the balun and the tuner:  Yes, I assume the 1:1 balun has sufficient
common mode impedance to be preventing common mode current standing
waves on unbalanced side of it.   But I think what I'm measuring is
current that's being induced in the coax shield because it's lying in
the near field of radiation of the loop.  Again, what is a mystery to
me is how changing the grounding arrangement on the balun could affect
the magnitude of that.

        I find this intruguing, but for the moment, I've put the clip on
ammeter away.  I'm going to forget it, while i digest this, and go
and play on 20m instead.

        Thanks for all the comments I've rec'd, on and off the list.

        73

        John

        VK7JB