There may be no difference in efficiency between putting the balun at the input
or the output of the tuner if you are operating into a nice 50ohm resistive
dummy load, but the situation changes if you are operating into an antenna fed
with ladder line on which there is a high SWR. In this case, the high SWR can
cause high currents that saturate the ferrite core in the balun, and causing
non-linearity and producing heat losses. This is why it may be preferable to
locate the balun at the input of the tuner, where the SWR on the transmission
line is low, and "float" the whole tuner. However, as Don mentioned, this can
present difficulties if the tuner is not a balanced design.

73, Matt VK2ACL