On 9/29/2012 9:12 PM, Robert G. Strickland wrote:
> What I'm curious about is whether some such device, at the feed point of a
> doublet,
> in turn fed by window line is of any use [assuming an appropriate tuner at
> the radio
> end of the line]. You have said, accurately so, that a current choke at the
> feed
> point of a dipole [let's leave off-center fed antennas out of it at this
> point], in
> turn fed by coax,

In all of this discussion, I have not used the word "coax."  You have
read that somewhere else.

> keeps RF from flowing on the outside of the coax and subsequently
> becoming "part of the antenna" and in turn picking up noise/etc. Another way
> of
> phrasing my question is, does the coax situation apply to open feeders, also?

YES!  That is EXACTLY what I have repeated, over and over again.  It has
NOTHING to do with coax.  Coax, if it is not decoupled by a common mode
choke, simply ADDS to the imbalance that is already present.  EVERY
transmission line needs a common mode choe at the feedpoint to decouple
the line.

Off-center fed antennas, like the so-called "Windom" in all of its
variations, are WILDLY unbalanced. As a result, they are notorious for
being NOISY, for putting RF in the shack, and for toasting common mode
chokes.  It is a complete fiction to feed with with parallel wire line
and CALL it balanced, and decide that it needs a balanced tuner! The
antenna is unbalanced, so the feedline is unbalanced, and a balanced
tuner does nothing except transfer dollars between the purchaser and the
seller.

In the old days, when RFI did not exist (few of us are old enough not to
remember TVI in the 50s), the Windom MIGHT have been a good idea.
Today, with RF noise sources everywhere and home stereo rigs full of Pin
One Problems ready to  bring RF into equipment and detect it, Windom
antennas are a really bad idea.

73, Jim Brown K9YC