> In the old days, when RFI did not exist (few of us are old enough not
> to remember TVI in the 50s), the Windom MIGHT have been a good idea.
> Today, with RF noise sources everywhere and home stereo rigs full of
> Pin One Problems ready to bring RF into equipment and detect it,
> Windom antennas are a really bad idea.

Unbalanced antennas or uncorrected common mode RF were never a good
idea.  Even before RF noise sources on receive and other RF sensitive
electronics, one could easily encounter issues with lip burns from a
"hot" microphone.  That is just one more symptom of common mode issues.

The only advantage we had in the "old days" was that the equipment
operated at much higher input levels and were thus less sensitive to
the RF voltage but the problems were still there as witnessed by the
RF burns from touching a hot chassis or hot mic.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV