“Wouldn't a single 15-pin to 15-pin DE-15 cable in addition to the first
KPAK3AUX cable set be sufficient?73,Rich VE3KI”

Yes, this is correct.  You need a DB15HD M/F cable (SVGA cable) between the
K3 and KAT500, and the normal DB15HD M/F Elecraft-type cable between the
KAT500 and KPA500.  The KAT500 reads frequency (BCD) and interrupts the
amp-keying pin as necessary, but also passes thru all pins from the K3 AUX
connector.  So as long as you use the normal Elecraft-type aux cable between
the KAT500 and the KPA500, the undesired pins are removed in that cable.  Or
alternatively, you could use the normal Elecraft-type DB15HD M/F cable
between the K3 and KAT500, and your own (or another Elecraft) cable between
the KAT500 and KPA500.  Only one of these cables must have the appropriate
pins removed.

Make sure that any non-Elecraft DB15HD M/F cable has all 15 pins passed
thru, and no pins are shorted together.  If it makes you feel better, you
can remove the unnecessary pins from a non-Elecraft cable between the K3 and
KAT500 (you MUST remove these pins between the K3 and KPA500).  I have a
short article in the “Equipment Modifications” section of my website
(www.ad5x.com) on cable sources.  The cables I call out have all pins
connected thru and no pins are shorted together.  As my KAT500 is located
just under my K3 and my KPA500 is located more than three feet away from
both, I use a 1-foot DB15HD M/F cable between the K3 and KAT500, and a 6-ft
DB-15HD M/F cable (with the appropriate pins removed) between the KAT500 and
KPA500.

Phil – AD5X