The car stereo situation is different in that the battery is charged from a
high frequency 3 phase supply ie the vehicle alternator.  The ripple
frequency is quite high, from low kHz at tickover to 10s of  kHz when you
are motoring.  In either case it's a lot higher than the 120Hz ripple
frequency of your home charger, ie it's much longer between current bursts
injected into the battery.  Your vehicle supply is voltage limited to around
13.8V average and the peak of this voltage under normal conditions is
probably around 15V - 16V or so, though it can have considerable nasty
spikes on it during engine starting and when large solenoids pull in and
drop out.  That makes a vehicle supply quite aggressive but not hard to
filter.  Your home supply can have nasty spikes as well but more important
is the on-load, off-load and line voltage variations you can experience.
For this reason, you need a much higher voltage rating capacitor than you
might think at first sight.  I would take a compromise on size and cost and
go for 25V minimum and feel fairly safe at 35V as big uF as you like.
Caution: when you first apply volts to your cap, it will suck an enormous
current, possibly enough to weld the open ends as they touch, so, I would
charge it up first with a modest resistor.

Ideally, the place to put the cap is near the radio so it absorbs
fluctuations in resistive drop of the supply cables, but that is sometimes
inconvenient electrically and mechanically.

David
G3UNA