Very good tips David...  also to note a good source for used caps in great
condition here in the states is Telecom gear.  The "rectifiers" as they
call them use a nice cap and its usually over-sized on purpose by the
manufacture for reliability needs.  I bought a very clean unit for $3 U.S.
and had four nice caps that have served me well.

Eric
W9WLW
On Oct 7, 2012 12:25 PM, "David Cutter" <d.cut...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> The car stereo situation is different in that the battery is charged from
> a high frequency 3 phase supply ie the vehicle alternator.  The ripple
> frequency is quite high, from low kHz at tickover to 10s of  kHz when you
> are motoring.  In either case it's a lot higher than the 120Hz ripple
> frequency of your home charger, ie it's much longer between current bursts
> injected into the battery.  Your vehicle supply is voltage limited to
> around 13.8V average and the peak of this voltage under normal conditions
> is probably around 15V - 16V or so, though it can have considerable nasty
> spikes on it during engine starting and when large solenoids pull in and
> drop out.  That makes a vehicle supply quite aggressive but not hard to
> filter.  Your home supply can have nasty spikes as well but more important
> is the on-load, off-load and line voltage variations you can experience.
> For this reason, you need a much higher voltage rating capacitor than you
> might think at first sight.  I would take a compromise on size and cost and
> go for 25V minimum and feel fairly safe at 35V as big uF as you like.
> Caution: when you first apply volts to your cap, it will suck an enormous
> current, possibly enough to weld the open ends as they touch, so, I would
> charge it up first with a modest resistor.
>
> Ideally, the place to put the cap is near the radio so it absorbs
> fluctuations in resistive drop of the supply cables, but that is sometimes
> inconvenient electrically and mechanically.
>
> David
> G3UNA
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Sluder" <eslude...@gmail.com>

>>> KD8NNU