When I installed the 250Hz 8 pole filter in my minimal K3 (base
+ K144XV + KXV3A + FM filter), the procedure in the manual
appendix A (p77ff) calls for the removal of the K144XV
transverter. After looking inside, removing it looked
unnecessary, so I proceeded without removing it. I encountered
no problems with this modified procedure. It's really nice to
hear how the background noise goes down as I switch between 300
Hz and 250 Hz and the filter switches in.

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV