From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Jim Wiley
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2012 6:43 AM
To: Bill
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 - what power supply are you using?

Yes.

You should also consider a 35 to 55 AH (or thereabouts) Gel-Cell battery and
a 3 to 4 amp automatic charger.  Advantages:  (1) Instant emergency power
good for several hours, (2) protection against line spikes
(surges)  and dips (brown-outs),  (3) the small charger will make up the
"daytime" discharge overnight without needing a much larger main power
supply, (5) generally, while system ends to be rather less expensive
overall, and  (6) the battery acts like a huge ultra-capacitor that absorbs
"junk" on the circuit powering the radio which helps with hum issues and
such

I ran my entire station from such a system for years. The station consisted
of  a 100-watt HF rig, a 50-watt 2-meter set,  35 watt UHF set, a Heath WWV
receiver/station clock, audio processor, and several accessories, all from a
10-ampere automatic charger and a single Costco deep-cycle Marine battery.

Any time I wanted to add something, I just hung it across the battery (I
actually used a home-built a DC distribution panel) without worrying about
needing to add yet another 12-volt power supply of some type.
Also, didn't have to buy them - a savings that adds up to quite a bit after
several rigs are added to the station.

- Jim, KL7CC