On 10/12/12 at 12:12 AM, n...@sonic.net (Alan Bloom) wrote:

>Down conversion was universal before the late 1970s.  Then up conversion
>became the fad.  Now we're back to down conversion.

I look at the K3 as a "middle conversion" design. With the 8.215
MHz IF; 160M, 80M and 40M are up converted and all the others
are down converted. It works very well.

For a real down conversion radio, consider my old Hallicrafters
SX-99. Everything is converted to a 455KHz IF which includes a
crystal filter (I think one poll). It really doesn't do very
well on image rejection. :-)

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV