For many situations, no, the K3 does not need additional RF gain on 10
meters.  However, in quiet locations additional gain is needed to pull weak
signals further above the noise floor for good copy.  The PR10 takes the MDS
down to about -143 dBm and the addition of the internal pre-amp down to
about -144.5 dBm.  In the past two years, I've Beta-tested the PR10 in
California on a very quiet ridge top QTH and in Aruba which is also very
quiet much of the time.  Primarily in contest conditions struggling to get
weaker and weaker signals out of the noise floor.  At times I've engaged the
internal K3 pre-amp in addition to the PR10 to get enough gain to copy weak
signals, even though the dynamic range of the system suffers and desense can
be a problem.  In the JARTS RTTY contest I only operated 10 and 15 meters
for about 16 hours, and I had the PR10 and K3 pre-amp on the entire time
from here in California.  Copy was marginal on some of the signals but even
the strongest signals didn't blast me.

Again, this much gain on 10 meters is not needed most of the time.  The K3
RF gain on 6 and 10 meters is less than some other receivers in order to
achieve the excellent dynamic range and desense specs.  It is a good design
trade-off, but there are times when more gain is needed on these higher
bands.

Ed W0YK