Dale

Your missing the better receiver of the 5000 on 10m, and yes I live in the
country on a farm with 7 elements on 10m at 60'. My suggestion would be for
you to buy a 5000 and then you would hear the difference this is not a knee
jerk statement but one that was checked over many months with instant A/B
antenna switching to the same antenna. What are you using for your
comparison between the 2 radios other than an A/B side by side? I also have
a P3/SVGA and an SDR-IQ on the FTDX-5000 for a Panadpter for measurements.

For starters you might put up a better antenna a little higher and from the
sounds of it find somewhere that is in a quieter location to take advantage
of weak signal work. I'm very happy with my K3's and the K2, KPA500 and plan
on keeping them but there is no perfect radio all have their faults and
strong points. I don't know why some refuse to believe that a radio can be
lacking in any area no matter who made it, I have never had that problem. I
am not a brand loyal person but one who buys what he feels is the best
performing radio that meets his needs and a company he likes.

For now Elecraft meets my needs and are responsive to its customers with
products and support. I do believe that if Wayne or Eric thought that a 10m
preamp was not necessary they would not have one on the planning boards. For
all their feedback to customers is why I choose Elecraft they do not hide
their head in the sand.

73,
Fred/N0AZZ