I have been using earbuds with my K3 for about a year.  I experimented
with three sets of headphones and seven pairs of earbuds.  Since I am a
CW op I don't need great fidelity.  On my first pass through all the
transducers I found the earbuds outperformed the headphones.  Two of the
headphones and three of the earbuds are high quality and great for
music.  But those were the ones I eliminated from my tests in the first
pass since they just did not work for my purpose very well.  I was left
with one set of headphones and four sets of earbuds.  It came down to
two earbuds which I can use comfortably for hours.  They also allow me
to dig just a little deeper into the noise.  The ones I chose were not
the cheapest nor the most expensive.  Another benefit of the earbuds is
easy storage and the little space they use.  Easy to pack for an outdoor
setup too.
     73,
          Kevin.  KD5ONS