I think I need some help. After having a K2 (SN 6280) sitting unmade for 5
years, I finally got started on it and have reached the Alignment and Test,
Part 1 stage. When powered up, I get "Elecraft" and then the frequency display.
However, using band+ and band- I can only see 10, 12, 15 meters - 17m tunes but
not to the proper freq. 20-80m all just say 15151. for freq. although the
number of significant digits can be changed with the tuning Rate pushbutton and
the mode change works. the menu button works, as does A, B, rit xit, display of
voltage and current is normal. relays click with band changes even when moving
through the lower bands when they just display the 15151 reading. All
resistance checks for front panel and control boards are normal.  Regulated 8
and 5 volts are correct. 4mhz osc is running. voltages on the IOC on the rf
board are normal. each time I press band+, pin 28 of the IOC dips from nominal
5v as it should.  One other thing: the pre/att switch does not
 trigger the associated relays and no signal on pin 28 of the IOC. Voltage
checks of the MCU are normal with the exception of: pin 18 is 5v instead of 0v,
pin 25 is 5v instead of 0v, pin 33 is 0v instead of 5v. However this may be
perfectly normal as the rf board is only minimally built and the table is for a
fully built unit.  Needless to say, I have checked carefully on the three
boards for bad joints, unsoldered joints, or bridged joints, although it is
certainly possible i have missed something.
At this point i know AUX bus signals are going to the IOC (or at least the
voltage is fluctuating when the panel buttons are pressed) so I am left
wondering if either 1) the IOC is not working, or 2) the MCU is not sending the
proper signals.  Any help someone could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Ed Kleckner, N7YQR
Hansville, WA
ekl...@hotmail.com