From: W4ATK
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2012 2:15 PM
To: Elecraft Reflector
Subject: [Elecraft] K3: Noise Reduction - FWIW

I have read with interest the e-mails regarding the K3 noise reduction
feature.  I will post my observations herewith.  It took a bit of work to
find the "sweet spot" setting for my noise environment. Once found, it has
proven to be quite satisfactory. Having worked with a number of SDR type of
radios (Flex, Yaesu, and now K3 and for that matter K2) I can say that, in
my opinion, the K3 is as good as it gets. I sense a number of users may not
be entirely familiar with noise reduction as it pertains to a software
defined radio. In some cases, it seems one is trying to use noise reduction
where one should be using noise blanking, a common mistake in attempting to
reduce impulse noise from power lines. Another common mistake would be to
solicit the settings from another user in a different noise environment.

One resource I found to be of benefit to me in helping me to understand the
"processes" of DSP  is "The Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing"
by Steven W. Smith.  It is a free download from http://www.dspguide.com.

73s, Jim, W4ATK