I own a hex beam and I agree with Mike.  For example, I am located in the
Seattle region and I can easily work virtually the entire country and
everything beyond in that easterly direction without ever changing my hex beam
direction.  Sure, I could probably get a stronger signal by pointing directly
at some location if I am otherwise operating off at a larger angle but most
often this does not matter.  The hex beam frontal lobe is pretty broad.

So, I rarely rotate my hex beam.

But, wouldn't it be nice to have a 7-element (or more) Yagi where being dead-on
in direction really counts!  Unfortunately, I do not have the room for such an
antenna (unless I was operating 2-meters or higher).

73, phil, K7PEH

P.S. By the way, I use a regular Radio Shack antenna rotator and it has been
operating flawlessly since I put it up in 2005.  The rotator cost me $69 brand
new.