Julie;
    I am certainly not an expert on this--I have my K3 functioning pretty well
for PSK and talking to my Mac but I am just to this level!  I am trying to get
my KX3 up and running on fldigi--but that is for my play-time this weekend!

    However, I would like to comment on a couple of things and you can get the
more detailed info from the experts.  I just hook my K3 directly to my laptop
(two more cables--line in and out) so I can't comment on using Signalink.

Yes, you need to activate a "lib" and/or "cat" file and check the box for it to
be used, but don't have the program here at work to see which (yes, I am
supposed to be working--but it is Friday!).

    Maybe I am different than many, but when I am using fldigi and working
digital modes (I don't use it for CW) I do everything from the computer.  I
change bands, modes, freqs, etc., all from the keyboard.  Maybe it is because I
use the computer so much at work so I am comfortable that way.  I use the
fldigi log and then copy all new contacts over to RUMLOG because I haven't
figured out how to link the two together.
    In contrast, all SSB and CW is from the radio and I only use the laptop for
logging (with paper duplicate for nostalgia's sake!).

    Hope this helps.
73,
Scott   AA0AA; XE1/AA0AA