How long will it be before Microsoft ditches Windows 7 users forcing them to delve into the NEW MAZE of Windows 8? Why does EVERYTHING have to be completely "changed" (It so seems to us loons who are not "computer geeks") and are encumbered with the huge task of finding out where everything is (if it is actually still there!) Mostly for the purpose of refilling the Microsoft coffers!!! My old Millenium edition of Windows was a mess! I dodged "Vista" which turned a lot of folks upside down. My "XP" machine turned me upside down until I managed to change it to look like the old Windows 98 layout. If I try that with Windows 7, I have to buy the "top end" edition which I DON'T NEED! Windows 7 "works" great once you partially understand it and where your old haunts are in it, but it is VERY confusing to actually get where you want to go easily! I AM NOT A VERY GOOD PUZZLE ASSEMBLER! I am almost ready to go back to MS/DOS at times!!!!! I gather Windows 8 is a "new maze"! Do we have to go thru this crap every few years or when we buy a new computer?

73,
Sandy W5TVW

-----Original Message----- From: David Christ
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2012 11:39 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] XP

Depends on what your needs are and the environment. We are still using laptops running 2000 pro for logging at field day. Work great.

One problem with perpetual licenses is that they create no ongoing cash flow. To get more money you need people to buy new product. Thus it makes business sense to obsolete the old stuff as soon as you can without angering the customer base. Some of us drive 20 year old cars around town. As long as they do what is needed there is no need to buy new no matter how much the dealers try to convince us that our image is damaged by the rust spots and holes.

David K0LUM