I would say there are many many more computer to computer connections over TCP than over RS-232. And many more over PPPoE <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-to-point_protocol_over_Ethernet>.

As far as I can tell, hams are the only users of RS-232 left. (RS-232 has the wonderful advantage of making it easy to build interfaces.) I don't think there are any new laptop computers with RS223 ports. Are there any desktops/towers?

I am a big fan of the IP protocol family for general communications between devices. With a broad collection of protocols which include flow-controlled point-to-point (TCP), Multicast <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_multicast>, Datagram (UDP); most communication problems can be solved with a well-tested protocol.

Full disclosure: One of the happiest days of my life was about 8 years ago when I got rid of the last RS-232 connection in my house. Newer systems used USB and ethernet and older ones got turned off. Then I got active in ham radio...

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV