Another idea:

I am a registered Apple developer and was a beta tester for Parallels 8. If you
are NOT running Windows 8, then Parallels 7 is the virtual platform of choice.
It is still available from retailers at substantial discounts to version 8.
Almost all of the changes incorporated into Parallels 8 were because of Windows
8 compatibility. Version 7 of Parallels is much more stable, and runs Win XP,
Vista & 7 very nicely on most any Mac.

73, Charlie, K4ZRJ