I'd modify that to, "Never leave ANY battery inside of your radio or test equipment." Li-ion's seem to be very stable, I haven't ever heard of a cell phone or laptop with a leakage problem. Li-Poly's don't seem to leak but they do catch fire ... at least once. Fortunately, I was out on the deck with my KX1 and the battery was external on a pigtail by which I picked it up and threw it over the rail onto our gravel driveway. Lots of "sparken und fizzen."

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
- www.cqp.org