My MFJ-259B has NiMH batteries, and I set the internal plug to trickle charge them. Most of the time, it just sits in its place on the bench, connected to a 12 volt wall-wart to keep them topped up. No problem after 3 years. Yes, the same set of batteries have been used that way. The capacity of the batteries may have reduced over time, but they are still sufficient for my needs (an hour or less in the antenna field). When those batteries no longer fill that need, I will put in new NiMH, I have already gotten my money's worth out of them.

73,
Don W3FPR