Ed,

Semi-break-in to me means has meant that one does not have to listen to clacking relays during the QSO, only at the beginning and end of the transmission. Elecraft uses all electronic switching, so for all Elecraft gear, that statement is moot - there are no relays to clatter either with QSK or semi-break-in. Semi-break-in means that the transceiver does not drop out of transmit state until after some defined time (the delay time).

BUT, that does bring up another point - when a non-Elecraft device containing relays (such as an amplifier - the time between the amp keying signal becoming active and the onset of RF is unchanged by the selection of QSK vs. semi-break-in. If the amp's relays are slow, hot switching may still occur.

The K3 does permit a variable delay between Keyout and the onset of RF, but for the K2, it is fixed.

73,
Don W3FPR