I get it. You HOLD the XMIT button on the K3 to tune the KAT500 and no need
to press TUNE on the KAT500 and then a button on the K3. You don't TAP the
ATU TUNE button when in BYPASS mode with the ATU installed (if using the
KAT500) because nothing happens except the screen reminds that you are in
BYPASS mode. There is room for some confusion and some omission in the
manual. For instance:

" You can prevent automatic tuning by selecting the MAN (manual) mode. In
MAN, the KAT500 will
automatically choose a new tuner setting..." I guess that makes sense to
someone. In MAN mode the tuner automatically----.  Thanks.