The rest of that sentence is important. It reads.

"You can prevent automatic tuning by selecting the MAN (manual) mode. In
MAN, the KAT500 will automatically choose a new tuner setting based on the
band and antenna selected, but you must tap TUNE and then apply RF power to
initiate a tuning operation if needed."

That means that in MAN the KAT500 will not automatically run through a tune
sequence, choosing an L and C for minimum SWR, even if the SWR exceeds the
threshold for an automatic Tune operation. However, when you change
bands/frequency, the ATU will automatically switch to the previously
memorized settings for that frequency, or the settings for the closest
frequency that has been memorized.

We'll look at expanding on that in future revisions to make it clearer. (Too
many flavors of "automatic" happening in there ;-)

73, Ron AC7AC