Both have a similar low noise, high gain front ends, Ron, and there is
little to choose between them as regards performance. There have been
several comparisons between the two on the reflector and a search on the
nabble archive might prove useful. In your application, with an external
amplifier I think I would be inclined to go for the XV144. (I have both)

73 de David G4DMP

In a recent message, Ron W3ZV <w...@verizon.net> writes
--
 | David M Pratt, Kippax, Leeds.   |