Bob,

Actually, the K3 is an SDR by all definitions I know about regarding SDR. The functions of the radio can be modified by firmware download. The fact that the K3 down converts to the 8 MHz IF range and then down converts further to 15 kHz to inject the signal into an A to D converter where the DSP is processed does not detract from the fact that it is an SDR. Yes, there is no PC involved, the processor is inside the radio.

The KX3 is similar, the processor is inside the radio, but the conversion is from the RF frequency direct to baseband - in other words, the KX3 DSP is processed around zero frequency (unless the 8 kHz offset is invoked).

So, I do not know your definition of SDR, but mine is quite literal - the function of the radio can be controlled by software (firmware if you choose). Download new firmware and the behavior of the K3 (and the KX3) can be modified. I believe my view is consistent with the generalized definition of SDR. Many hams will not agree because they believe that without a PC connected, it is not an SDR.

73,
Don W3FPR