Using a DVM or other self-contained voltmeter, measure the voltage at the power supply end of the cable during Rx and Tx. Is the voltage drop small (under 1/2 volt)?

Measure the voltage at the radio end of the cable (using the same voltmeter) during Tx and Rx. Compare it to the K3 voltmeter. The difference between the two voltages should be almost constant, with perhaps a couple tenths of a volt greater difference when in Tx. Is the excessive voltage drop occuring across the cable? Might it be poorly or improperly mated Anderson power-pole connections? Or loose connections at the power supply? Are you using a power distribution box like a RigRunner? Is the drop occuring there?

The most common cause of this sort of problem is the cabling -- including connectors -- between the power supply and the radio.

73,

Lyle KK7P

Update on my low output issue:

I ran the TX Gain Calibration this morning, and everything passed with flying colors.

I am seeing about a 4-4.5V drop across the radio when going from rx to tx. Rx voltage sits at 13.8V, but when I transmit, voltage across the rig drops to between 9 and 9.5V.

All tests performed while tuned into a 300W dummy load.

Before I tear into my rig and start looking for corroded tin pins on the PA board (K3 #281, so unlikely the board was replaced/mod performed), is there anything else I should test while my station is still all together in one piece?

Thanks to everyone for the assistance, and Merry Christmas!

73,

--Ian

Ian Kahn, KM4IK
Roswell, GA  EM74ua