I appreciate Alan's occasional reminder of his available Elecraft building
services.  Alan recently upgraded my auction acquired K2 #2318 with SSB and IO2
to a revision B K2/100 adding the NB, DSP, PA100, 60M, and 160M modules.

The upgrade job was complicated by the fact that the rig had been previously
involved in a house fire and rescued by me from the charred debris through
repeatedly cleaning the boards with alcohol and distilled water.  I also had to
replace the front panel, melted knobs, melted bezel, and melted buttons and
scrub the soot blackened exterior.  For about a year, I could smell a faint
smoke odor every time I used the rig.

A year and a half after my restoration to operable condition, the K2 stopped
responding to computer control. I had seen Alan's e-mails and decided it was
time to ask Alan for repair help and for the upgrades that I had been wanting
for some time.

Alan began to work almost immediately and kept me advised of his progress by
e-mail as he repaired defects and built the upgrades.  Working on the fire
affected boards was difficult because each new solder point required
recleaning.  He finished the project promptly and charged very reasonable fees
for his labor.

My commercial surface mount technology rigs did not survive the fire, only the
K2 because of its modular easy to work on design.  I am greatful for Alan's
services that again enable me to use my K2 fire survivor.  The K2 worked FB QRO
during last weekends CQ DX RTTY contest.

Thanks Alan

de KB1IKD

"""Hey Alan:
Just ignore the negative comments  on the reflector.  If you enjoy building
the Elecraft gear then good for  you.  It gives you something to do plus
provides you will a few extra  bucks.  Besides your providing a valuable
service for some of the hams. Not  everyone has time to build the kits.

73, Don"""