Hello,
I will purchase a new KX3 from Elecraft Sales in a week or two.
If the factory testing upon final assembly is more comprehensive than what is in the kit assembly manual, it might persuade me to buy the Factory Assembled version. Is any extra factory testing performed? The only order page option I have not firmed up is whether to buy the factory tested version or the kit. I have the skill & tools to build the kit and I have read the assembly manual. However, I am sure that the Elecraft technicians would do a better job of assembly than I could. My main concerns with assembling the KX3 myself, are properly cleaning (and testing) the RF Ground locations and damage to the ribbon connector when bending it. Of course ESD is always a concern, but I have an ESD mat, wrist strap, etc. The extra cost of the factory build is not an issue. In fact I would look at the extra expense as an insurance policy that I would have a working radio in top condition. (Shipping damage could change that.) My biggest kit fear is that something wouldn’t work after I built it; and it was my fault. If a factory assembled kit did not pass Elecraft's final testing, they would immediately resolve it. Still, it appears that significant kit assembly problems are extremely rare. I suppose I would get some satisfaction from assembling the KX3 kit, but not quite as much as if I was melting solder. Would kit builders please share any insights?
All recommendations are welcome; including buy both and see for myself.
Thanks & 73,
Richard, AI4SH
PS. My intended use of the KX3 is for cw qrp base station operation. I have a K1 that I will retire from the desk and use as my portable station.