Hi Richard,

While we do test and align the PCB boards identically on the kit and factory assembled KX3s, we do further testing on the assembled units to insure that we built them perfectly.

Assembled KX3s are given an preliminary TX and RX test after assembly, followed by a multi-hour burn in rack test. There under computer control we stress test the KX3 by transmitting key down on each band while checking temperature, current and power out and also check tuning of the ATU on each band. This occurs in a repetitive fashion - cycling through the bands - for a minimum of 8 hours. After passing burn-in, the assembled KX3 goes to final test on a technicians lab bench, where we test all RX and TX parameters on all bands, including RX sensitivity, TX power, Current drain in TX, TX IMD etc. We also do tests on the SSB audio, CW keying, receive audio and a number of other parameters. Each added option is also tested in the KX3.

In general we see few failures in burn-in or final test, due to our extensive testing of the PC boards before assembly (and before packaging them into kits).

73,

Eric
---
www.elecraft.com