At the risk of adding to the din, here is my favorite use for it:

I like to slowly tune the band looking for weak stations that might be DX (*before* they hit the clusters and the whole world jumps in). Without the P3 I might pass a station who was just CQing, but has stopped to listen. With it, I can 'look back in time' and know that I should stay on the frequency for a while.