It has been my experience during the four years or so that I've subscribed to
this reflector that by far the most helpful, interesting, and insightful
correspondence has always occurred off-list in private e-mail exchanges. These
exchanges in no way were deliberate attempts to be selfish with information or
to be private to spite the group. They just happened, often long after the
original post was beaten to death. I might go so far as to say that the
majority
of traffic occurs off-list. Probably most of you have the same experience.

As long as there is a public resolution to the original posting I see no reason
to require that all of this extraneous traffic be put back on the list; we
would
be overwhelmed with traffic and would thus face a new problem. Besides, what
you
or I choose to keep private should be our prerogative, no? Maybe I'm
misunderstanding the original post.

By the way, I have used another technique to cut down on list traffic. Eric has
often suggested that we sit on our replies overnight, especially when they have
been written in the heat of the moment. I now do this, and find that I don't
bother to send over half of the replies I write when I re-visit them the next
day. For various reasons ranging from seeing another almost identical post the
next day to simply deciding that I didn't have that much to add to the
conversation after all.

Al  W6LX