Yes, he may have misunderstood your question. And if it was a manufacturing defect by all means have it replaced under warranty.

All the buttons on the P3 are part of a single rubber molded key matrix that also provides the mounting for the LCD display. I'm not sure what it costs, but a lot less than $637. :=)

To replace the rubber key matrix you first have to un-stick the old one from the front panel. (The back of the key matrix is sticky, like tape.) It also involves removing the LCD display and re-installing it after changing the key matrix, a procedure that is covered in the Owner's manual. It's a little tricky to get the two flex cables simultaneously latched in the two connectors, but shouldn't be a problem if you're reasonably dextrous.

Alan N1AL