Ron D'Eau Claire stated: "Never be staggered by the ignorance of others, nor allow
it to influence your thinking."

Well stated.

I would add to the discussion, young people in particular are not as fixed in their
mindset as some older folks are.  It is for this reason I am working Maker Faire this
year along with our OCRA (Orange County Radio Amateurs) club, and have been surprised and
encouraged by the number of young people actually making all sorts of things!  I think it
is a great idea to continue to advertise Amateur Radio and kit building, despite the
incredulous reaction you will get from the public in general.  How many times have YOU
been asked: "Ham radio?  People still do that?  Don't they know about cell
phones?"

There is power in actually knowing how things work, and young people sometimes
get it.

Howie - WA4PSC