I'm experiencing a problem with instability in power output from my K3/100. No word back from Elecraft yet (it's only been a few days), so I thought I'd try here.

The problem is that at relatively low power output levels (approximately 10 to 40 watts), the power output does not remain constant. If I engage TUNE, the power will vary plus/minus 3 or 4 watts, then jump up briefly by as much as 10 watts or more before resuming smaller excursions. Although the power variations are brief, they cause the grid protection circuit in the amp to trip. This behavior seems to be independent of mode and frequency.

The above problem persists with different feedlines and occurs with the amp out of line and transmitting into a dummy load as well. At higher levels of output, the power level is stable. The radio is of relatively recent manufacture (S/N 5839) and I have the latest downloads installed. I have another K3 that does not exhibit this problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks & 73,

Arliss   W7XU