When the KAT500 is in Auto mode I think the Auto LED flashes when it is waiting for RF and inhibits the key line.

On 3/16/2013 7:01 PM, Dick Dievendorff wrote:
As others have said, the mechanism the KAT500 uses to inhibit the amplifier is
the amplifier key line, sometimes labeled PTT. The KAT500 manual shows cabling
diagrams that cause the K3 key line to go thru a relay in the KAT50o to the
amp.  The amp doesn't change to standby, it is simply not keyed and therefore
does not amplify during ATU tuning operations.

73 de Dick, K6KR