On Fri, 2013-03-22 at 12:15 -0700, Donald Bush wrote:
> Great stuff Gil....low power really works if your patient and use a
> decent antennas. I'm currently at 300 countries confirmed using 5
> watts or less. I just worked the Clipperton Island DX-pedition last
> week on 40 with ONE WATT.....and I'm in their log.Yes, the contact was
> on 40 LSB!!
> Best regards with many 72...73.
> Don sr. --WA2TPU --

Thanks Don, that's amazing! Personally, I'd rather use the money I would
use to buy an amp to get more QRP kits. I plan on building a KX1, just
for fun (already built a K1 & K2), and just secured a Weber MTR which I
should receive this week.. A few Watts is indeed enough for CW. I have
been tempted to get an amp, but then thinking about it, I realized it
wouldn't make much difference. I couldn't take it out camping without
having to carry a big battery anyway; not practical. And I would have to
change my antenna, power supply and probably a couple other things to
accommodate the extra power. Just to warm up the air around. No Thanks.
Sometimes I turn my KX3 power down, just out of curiosity, and it has
worked down to 100mW! Faint but readable, 830 miles distance. Usually,
anything at or above 1W goes through. I had Russia on 5W using my
homebrew magnetic loop (21ft perimeter) inside the house! It wasn't even
oriented the right way. I think anyone who needs an amp actually needs a
better antenna... (I use a PAR End-Fed).
So, I'm going to skip the KX3 Amp and get the auto tuner, charger and 2m
module..

Ya'll have a great week-end,

Gil.