From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of EricJ
Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2013 1:56 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] OT: For New Hams, How to Tell What an Amp Will Do
For Your Signal

In fact, the whole concept is codified in FCC Part 97

ยง 97.313   Transmitter power standards.

(a) An amateur station must use the minimum transmitter power necessary to
carry out the desired communications.

Sometimes that's 500mw, sometimes it's a lot more.

Ultimately, the objective of this hobby is communication. If you can
communicate at only 500 mw, do so; in fact, the law requires it. If you need
500 watts, you should do so. Not to means you fail at the most basic
objective of the hobby.

90% of the time I'm CW QRP. The rest of the time I have my K2/10 (SN
567) cranked to the 15 watt max.

Eric
KE6US
K1/KX1/K2