From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Kenneth A
Christiansen
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2013 7:34 AM
To: d...@w3fpr.com
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Noise when plugging kx3 into computer

I have been able to kill my computer noise to my K3 by putting a USB hub
between my computer and the USB to serial converter to my K3.

It is worth a try as the hub was cheap and I discovered it by accident.

73 and good luck

Ken W0CZ

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 18, 2013, at 5:34 PM, Don Wilhelm <w3...@embarqmail.com> wrote:

> You said 'everything is grounded' -- but does that include the computer?
> Laptops may be difficult to ground because of plastic cases, but perhaps a
screw somewhere in the enclosure can provide a grounding point.  The key is
not necessarily 'grounding', but instead bonding all components (including
the computer) with large diameter wire or braid to keep everything at the
same potential.
> Plugging the computer as well as the ham gear into the same AC receptacle
is a potential assist to the situation, but as you have observed, it is not
a total cure.

> Check the RFI information provided by K9YC at
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/K9YC/K9YC.htm, it is an excellent resource
for such problems.

> You could try using the 8 kHz RX shift on the KX3 to see if that helps -
again, not the 'cure' but it can assist.  Replacing the computer (or its
power supply) may be the only alternative to truely 'fixing' this problem.

> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>

> On 4/18/2013 5:33 PM, AB1SX wrote:
>> Never noticed it because while setting up the kx3 I was also setting
>> everything up on my computer.  I am a new ham and was getting the
>> logging software etc all set up.  I recently was using the kx3
>> without the computer plugged in and the computer was on the other
>> side of the room.  I had very little background noise on the kx3.  I
>> finished up what I was doing on the computer and brought it back to
>> the kx3 (computer was still on) and I started getting back ground noise,
when I plugged it in the noise even got
>> louder?   I then took the computer away from the area and the noise
>> disappeared again?  What's up with that?  Everything is grounded.
>> Could it be because I am plugging the lap top into the same plug
>> outlet as my remote power?  The KX3 is set up as a base station in
>> the house, remote power source, kx3, antenna tuner and 150 watt amp.  Is
there a way I can stop that
>> noise through filters on the kx3?   Suggestions would be apprciated.
>>
>> AB1SX
>>

>> --
>>
>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this
>> email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html