On 4/23/2013 11:48 AM, Edward R Cole wrote:
Ramon makes a point, of course, but not all of us strive for "shack
beautiful" appearance.

That would be me Ed. My station is never "not in a state of flux." Just sorting out the cables behind it gives new meaning to the term "wireless." With an SX-28 I inherited from a local ham's estate came the bass reflex speaker cabinet with the "h" in the center. It sounded wonderful on the SX-28. None of my more modern radios would drive it to more than a whisper. I've currently got an MFJ amplified 2"x2" speaker on my K3 facing me, it works better than than the internal speaker which is semi-blocked by the shelf above it, but really ... not a lot better.

Given enough market desire [don't know how to assess that], offering a KPA500 form factor and blac box for a VERY elliptical speaker might be profitable, not sure how it would sound but car radios in the 60's had them and they weren't bad ... for the time. I doubt a speaker small enough for a P3 form factor would be any better than any other that size.

Bose does some amazing things in small spaces ... partnership? :-))

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
- www.cqp.org