Us OTs who occasionally peruse the old QSTs know that in the 1960's Collins
was really trying to produce equipment that the XYL would not object to
having on a desktop in the living room. "Hamshacks" were moving from the
basement, garage or outdoor shed into the living room.

As home sizes have diminished steadily over the decades, and the size of the
equipment has diminished, having a rig that was acceptable in the living
room has become how many Hams have stayed on the air.

Personally, my rigs are almost never fully assembled. When I'm on the air,
it's usually with something that looks like someone exploded a dozen pieces
of equipment on the bench top. Fortunately my XYL does not mind and now that
solid state is common, I'm no longer reaching through a maze of wires
containing hundreds or thousands of volts to throw a switch. (Yes, I was
raised with the story of how Ross Hull was electrocuted in 1938, exactly 7
months and 12 days after I was born probably instilling a level of care that
has probably been responsible for me surviving, although I have been knocked
on my...er...'backside'... a number of times in years long past.)

I can fully understand the desire of some Hams to have a complete,
integrated station that looks clean, neat and which works perfectly. Not all
Hams are madcap tinkerers and home brewers, Hi!

73, Ron AC7AC