My K3 died a couple of weeks ago after I installed the 2m module. I guess my
static electricity protection was lacking although I did the work on a
static mat and had my wrist strap on all the time, grounded to the station
ground.

In any case, I sent the K3 to Elecraft, got a confirmation email from them
when it arrived in CA and after a bit more than a week, I got a call from
one of the technicians there.  He told me that U5 on the RF board was toast
and that he would replace it.  He also inquired how I was planning to use
the 2m module. When I told him some FM some SSB or CW he suggested the
REFLOCK option for SSB. I told them to go ahead and put it in, not a hard
decision since there was no labor charge as the rig was already in pieces!

He then called me back telling me that he didn't like the way the front
panel paint was adhering and that two of the front panel knobs were cracked.
He replaced all of that and then bench checked the rig to equal or exceed
published specs.  He checked all of my installed options and the VCO cal and
set the Ref cal.  He also checked the watt meter and S meter calibration.
The bill was about $125 plus another $100 for the REFLOCK option. Since the
return shipping was around $30, the actual repair and no charge new parts
was under $100.

Just a bit over two weeks after I sent the rig in, it was returned to me in
better condition than when I sent it out.

Another example of great service from Elecraft.

John KE4D

Unit 38 Fort Clark Springs

Brackettville, TX