Frank,
There are steel blades still sold at Home Depot for painting clean up of
windows.  Single edge razor blades.

Now if the school official "crazies" won't stomach those, you can simple
substitute some plated metal or even a rusty slip of steel.  I wonder if a
scrap of blue banding metal tape would work??   You are looking for the
surface of the steel to be plated and that creating a dissimilar metal
junction and hence a diode.  You could also simply sub a 1N34 glass diode.

I wonder if you could grind off the sharp edge of single edge blades to
still use them?  They have a metal clamp piece that could be held easily by
vice grips to present the sharp blade edge to a grinder wheel.  The sweet
spot on the old blades was reputed to be along the engraved logo on the
blade.  I am not sure the mass produced import blades sold for paint
scraping still have an etched logo or name section.

Stuart
K5KVH