Best used when copy any other way is impossible due to a weak signal.
Ringing is somewhat better than noise, isn't it?

I've found APF useful in a number of QRP events, when handling weak
signals is the order of the day.  Yes - copy may be dificult but at
least you have something to work with.  APF is similar to Q-mulipliers
we used in the 70's and earlier, prior to digital signal processing.

By memory, the K3's (and KX3's) APF is an order of magnitude better
than a Qmult.  Imho, it is mainly due to the excellent DSP work by
Lyle Johnson.  Of course, some of the difference is also due to the
relatively poor receivers we had back then.

73,
matt W6NIA